The Intolerant Life

"And you are?" the visa officer had a somber expression as he riffled through the documents.
 
The man replied.
 
"You are American? What do you need a Visa for then?" dealing with Indians can be exasperating some times.
 
"I am not American sir. That is my name. I am an Indian" the man explained.
 
"So you are an Indian but named American? Why'd your parents do that?"
 
"May be they wanted me to be rich. That's what my name means"
 
The officer sighed. "You have no idea my friend. It is only a select few that become super rich but there is rest of us who need to toil in strange lands with strange names, then we have illegal immigrants from Mexico who are poor, then there are benches full of Indians in our downtowns - and their names are strange too and more. But yes, your lot are much better off in our country. Anyways, why do you want to relocate?"
 
"Not me sir. My wife wants to"
 
"That's alright. I am here in this country because of my wife too. My question was what is the purpose of relocation? Studies, work, business, tourist - what?"
 
"Well nothing like that sir. It is just plain intolerance that my wife felt"
 
"Intolerance? That is all?" the officer was now confused. He swiveled in his chair and called out a colleague.
 
"Hey Katie! This man here, named American, wants a Visa in the category of intolerance. Do we have one such?"
 
Katie was curious. She shut the window on the waiting software engineer and turned around.
 
"Why is he named American if he is an Indian?"
 
"Oh now. Don't get me started on that. It has something to do with money. Tell me this - do we issue visas for intolerance? What's that I1 visa for?"
 
"We don't have an I1, we have a J1. You gotta drink more coffee, Matt"
 
"I know sweetie. Its just this guy's name. So do we have a category at all?"
 
"Hmmm.. Lets see. Intolerance, huh. Ask him if it is from his Mother?"
 
"Yes Mr. American, Indian" Matt laughed at his own joke. "Is it because of your Mother?"
 
The man became emotional. His eyes welled up a bit and Matt was quick to notice the change his question brought in the man.
 
"No need to be emotional man. I was just joking. I mean, you are an Indian alright. Its just your name that made me take a pun at it. I know that is kinda insensitive and intolerant. I apologize. So is it your mother?"
 
The man did not quite follow Matt. His eyes remained welled up. He collected himself nevertheless and said - "Yes sir. It is my mother India. She has been kind and made me rich like my father wanted. But now she has become intolerant"
 
"He does seem to blame his Mother in India" Matt whispered to Katie.
 
Katie pitched in. "I see your wife's view point here. Mothers think they own their sons. My Mother-in-Law was like that too and that is why we relocated to India. But we have to be sorry sir. That cannot be a reason for us to grant your Visa. That way the world will become polarized along the lines of mothers-in-law of the world"
 
"So you are saying we cannot relocate?" the man brightened up. "Can you explain the same to my wife here?"
 
Matt and Katie stiffened up a bit. "Now this is not a place to resolve your family matters. Do you know how many applications we need to process today? You better leave from here along with your family sir"
 
"But.. but... My wife... Who will explain all this to her? Please, please don't do this to me. Just spend 2 minutes with her"
 
"Thanks for your time today sir. You may go now. Next please"
 
The man, shell shocked at the rising intolerance inside the consulate, walked towards his waiting wife - ever so thoughtfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The solitary reaper (of grief)

Ari - The dance or the Dancer?

SVCHS - School Vth CHaracter(S) !